Sciatica can cause intense pain and significantly affect your quality of life. If it is left untreated, the pain can become chronic and lead to permanent nerve damage. At Lancaster Chiropractic Life Center in Lancaster, PA, we provide treatment that is designed to reduce your symptoms and improve your overall health. Before visiting us, read about some frequently asked questions regarding sciatica below:
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a condition caused by compression of the sciatic nerve, which originates in the spinal cord and travels to your lower back. You actually have two sciatic nerves, one on the right side of your spine and one on the left side. Each nerve separates into smaller nerves that transmit sensory and motor information between the legs and the brain.
What Causes Sciatica?
Sciatica can be caused by a variety of factors that can compress and irritated the sciatic nerve. You may have a herniated disc or a bulging disc that be causing the condition. Along with that, if you have narrowed joint space surrounding the sciatic nerve where it leaves the spine due to arthritis, degenerative disc disease, or a cyst, this can lead to sciatica.
What are the Risk Factors of Sciatica?
There are several factors that can increase your risk of developing sciatica. Some of these factors include the following:
- Frequent bending and heavy lifting
- Excessive sitting and sedentary lifestyle
- Trauma from auto accidents and falls
What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
Sciatica can cause several symptoms that can come and go. Some common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Lower back pain, hip pain, groin pain, and leg pain
- Leg numbness and tingling
- Leg weakness
- Lower back stiffness
Sciatica symptoms can get better or worse throughout the day, especially after sitting or standing for a prolonged period of time.
Is Chiropractic Care Beneficial for Sciatica?
Chiropractic care is an excellent option for people struggling with sciatica. At our chiropractic clinic, all services are uniquely tailored to each individual based on their symptoms, goals, and preferences. Our approach ensures your results are meaningful and long-lasting. Some techniques that we use for sciatica include:
- Chiropractic adjustments: These treatments restore spinal alignment and reduce pressure on compressed nerves
- Stretches and exercises: Stretches and exercises can improve the strength and mobility of the tissues in your shoulders, back, and hips
- Massage therapy: This therapy can alleviate pain and spasms in nearby muscles and stimulate blood and lymphatic flow to help you heal quickly
- Lifestyle counseling: Our chiropractor can help patients understand how factors like nutrition, stress management, and sleep can support their overall health and healing journey
Contact us for an Appointment Today!
If you are experiencing lower back pain from sciatica, let our team at Lancaster Chiropractic Life Center in Lancaster, PA, help. We provide a wide range of treatments that can reduce your discomfort and help you return to your normal routine. To learn about our treatments or to schedule your appointment, call us at (717) 394-2444 today.