- posted: Aug. 23, 2022
Sciatica & Chiropractic
The woman in this case study had been suffering from low back pain and sciatica for 23 years. The cause was unknown. Her most recent episode flared after working out over six months prior. Since then she complained of sleeping difficulties due to the pain traveling down her leg. She was experiencing constant pain all day as well as at night and was also suffering from migraine headaches.
The chiropractor examined her and found structural shifts in her upper and lower back. She had postural changes, pain, and tight muscles in her neck and throughout her body. X-rays and other testing confirmed these findings. These structural shifts can lead to obstruction of the nerves and it is this obstruction, called vertebral subluxations, that chiropractors correct.
Following chiropractic care to her neck her symptoms improved dramatically. She noticed improvement in her activities of daily living, her pain decreased, and she felt much better overall.
Journal of Upper Cervical Chiropractic Research ~ Volume, 2020
Fun Facts You Didn’t Know About Chiropractic
- “Chiropractic” comes from two Grecian words. “Cheir,” meaning hand, and “praktos,” meaning done, translates to “Done by Hand.”
- In 1895, D.D. Palmer, gave the first adjustment to Harvey Lillard. These chiropractic adjustments helped Lillard regain his hearing after an accident he had 17 years earlier.
- To become a Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), you need to complete a minimum of 4,200 hours of classroom, lab and clinical internships during a 4-year doctoral program.
- An estimate of 35 million American adults and children are seen by Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) each year.
- There are around 95,000 active doctors of chiropractic worldwide, along with 10,000 students in the United States alone, currently enrolled in chiropractic education programs.
- 32 National Football League teams take advantage of chiropractic. Each of the 32 teams have a chiropractor on staff to increase performance, maintain the players well being and help musculoskeletal issues.